Memoirs of an American in Japan

What can I say, I must be a little mad. I am packing up my bags and moving 5,500 miles away from all my family and friends to a little country called Japan. Some call me crazy, and some call me adventurous, but I am ready for the experience of a lifetime...

Name:
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

On my second tour of teaching abroad, this time teaching Kindergarten in the Abu Dhabi desert.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It's going to be a COLD winter!!!

LOOK! I'm wearing socks.

So I am from Sac where snow does not exist and I wear flip flops 365 days out of the year and only wore thin ankle socks when I rowed (to keep my feet from getting athletes foot-yuck). But lately there was this cold winter snap out of nowhere and it has been FREEZING!!! I do not wear tennis shoes but its been sooo cold that I have been forced to wear them and my boss was sooo proud that I actually wore tennis shoes to school yesterday. To let you know the extent of this cold weather I am experiencing I actually went to Apita today and bought 9 pairs of socks and 2 scarfs (I don't own socks) because I am afriad of freezing to death in my apartment.

Before the sudden snap, the weather was absolutely gorgeous, I wore t-shirts, jeans and flip-flops everyday and I wanted to go on bike rides and picnics everyday in the park. All of a sudden out of nowhere the weather snapped and I am absolutely freezing-there was no gradual cooling-one day its a beautiful flip-flop wearing day, next day I'm freezing to death in my apartment wearing socks and my fleece. I'm scared of Nagoya winter, I have heard it is freezing and it snows a bit. The major difference between winter in the States and in Japan is that the buildings in Japan are not well insulated, you can stand by a window that is closed and feel the breeze through the cracks. If its 45 degrees outside then its 45 degrees inside, whereas at home you can walk inside and be warm in an instant. I will probably be sleeping with 12 blankets, 3 pairs of paints, a sweatshirt and 2 pairs of socks. I will keep you updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home