Memoirs of an American in Japan

What can I say, I must be a little mad. I am packing up my bags and moving 5,500 miles away from all my family and friends to a little country called Japan. Some call me crazy, and some call me adventurous, but I am ready for the experience of a lifetime...

Name:
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

On my second tour of teaching abroad, this time teaching Kindergarten in the Abu Dhabi desert.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

First Doctor's visit in Japan

Well, I didn't find my voice this morning. I woke up and I couldn't even make a squeak-my voice didn't get better over night, it got worse. When I arrived at school I couldn't even say good morning, so Mitani-san the school director took me to the doctor while Yasuko and I shoved the kids outside to play (poor Yasuko had to be the voice for two today).

I have heard some sketchy things about the Japanese medical system so I was a bit nervous going to see the doctor. We went to the local clinic for the ear, throat and nose doctor. This isn't your average HMO doctor's office. You walk into the waiting room and there are benches upon benches for people to sit. Luckily no one was there today and I was the next patient but Mitani-san said she usually has to wait for an hour or two to see the doctor (although that isn't so different from Kaiser). The first thing we did was take a number, then Mitani-san filled out the questionnaire for me. There were about 8 nurses standing around in pink and white uniforms, quite cute reminded my of nurses outfits from 50 years ago. When my number showed up on the screen I went into the other room. It wasn't exactly a doctors office, it was quite large and had these strange machines along one wall and tables with the doctors tools on the other side. I had no clue what was going on so I had to rely on Mitani-san to tell me what to do. I sat down in a chair and the doctor (female) poked around in my mouth for 1 minute pulled on my tongue and told me to say ahhh and ehhh. She said four words: laryngitis, vocal cords swollen. Then she sent me over to those weird machines by the wall and one of the nurses told me what to do in Japanese but I just watched her had movements and guessed what I was supposed to do. I put the tube up to my mouth and inhaled something for a good 2 minutes.

Once I finished the inhaler I got my medicine-three different pills: 1) bring down the swelling, 2) help with saliva (not sure about that one) 3) make sure the other two don't upset my stomach, hmmm.

With that my first visit to the Japanese doctors ended. I just hope my voice comes back soon, I have a feeling Yasuko's voice might be the next to go if I don't help her with all the yelling soon ;) If you were wondering the kids have been pretty good the past few days. Yasuko gave them the kids the guilty speech. You need to nice to Brenda she doesn't feel well and it worked!!

But, the best thing about this whole episode is that I got homemade lasagna from Aidan's mom today. We were talking about it with her yesterday and she brought me some today, ahhh. Made me sooooo happy. And it was YUMMY!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home