Memoirs of an American in Japan

What can I say, I must be a little mad. I am packing up my bags and moving 5,500 miles away from all my family and friends to a little country called Japan. Some call me crazy, and some call me adventurous, but I am ready for the experience of a lifetime...

Name:
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

On my second tour of teaching abroad, this time teaching Kindergarten in the Abu Dhabi desert.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Seto Ceramics Festival







I went to my first 'festival" on Saturday in Seto with a few of the teachers from my school. Seto is about an hour north from Nagoya and is considered countryside-but its more like a suburb. Seto is a cute little town and is famous throughout Japan for its beautiful ceramics and pottery.

This festival was not what I expected a festival would be like. There were no traditional dancing or singing performances, very few people wore the traditional yukata (summer kimono) and there was no huge parade through town carrying the religious statues-although the local boy and girl scout troops paraded through playing instruments-very cute. The festival was basically six streets filled with tent vendors selling the most gorgeous ceramic plates, bowls, tea pots, cups, figurines... you will ever see, at a very cheap price. I had a blast and ended up sweaty and sunburnt and stayed in Seto till 9pm browsing the tents, eating fried chicken and french fries/drinking, watching the fireworks and buying way to much stuff (My excuse, it's my birthday-and its not all for me-hint hint : )

And the party didn't end there... 4 hours later (after eating and drinking once again in Sakae) on the subway Lizzie (teacher from KIS and soon to be roomate) and I met a girl from Portland, Oregon who went to high school 10 miles from where I grew up-small world-Lizzie and I went got a drink with her

It was a loooong day, but it was great and a wonderful birthday that I will never forget

p.s. I will put up pictures tomarrow, my computer is being stupid and I need to get to bed, its 1 am here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home