Memoirs of an American in Japan

What can I say, I must be a little mad. I am packing up my bags and moving 5,500 miles away from all my family and friends to a little country called Japan. Some call me crazy, and some call me adventurous, but I am ready for the experience of a lifetime...

Name:
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

On my second tour of teaching abroad, this time teaching Kindergarten in the Abu Dhabi desert.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Breaking News in Nagakute, Japan

OK, so I was riding my bike home with Lizzie and Charrissa from work today around 6pm. And as we were riding home we could see helicopters coming from all angles towards us. We were counting at least 6 then a few minutes later there were 10. It was the strangest thing to see them coming from everywhere and they all started following each other. SInce this is not an everyday occurance in sleepy suburbia Nagakute we were trying to think of reasons why there would be sooo many helicopters circling around. We finally decided it must be some kind of training because there is no other reason for 10 helicopters to be circling in the sky (some kind of violence did not occur to us). As soon as we got home Lizzie and I went for a run in the park. We we got back I had a missed call on my phone from Charrissa (I never get calls so it must have been something big). She had recieved a message from Naomi who recieved a frantic message from Soari to NOT leave the house because there was a shooting in Nagakute. WHAT!!! Japan is the safest country in the world (I feel safe walking down the streets at midnight by myself.) And Nagakute none the less. Nagakute is the Japanese version of Folsom, a very upper middle class suburb. So I was a bit surprised . Anyways long story short a older man went a bit crazy and shot his son, daughter and a police officier and was holding his wife hostiage. I can still hear the helicopters hoovering over us a mere 7 hours later so Im not sure what is going on. Im sure i will find out more tomarrow, but with this little blog I am off to bed and im not rereading it tonight so if this doenst make much since I will fix it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home