Memoirs of an American in Japan

What can I say, I must be a little mad. I am packing up my bags and moving 5,500 miles away from all my family and friends to a little country called Japan. Some call me crazy, and some call me adventurous, but I am ready for the experience of a lifetime...

Name:
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

On my second tour of teaching abroad, this time teaching Kindergarten in the Abu Dhabi desert.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

It's been a busy week

Okay, so I guess it is finally time to update this thing. I have lots of pictures to post so here is a recap of what I have done in the past week. I went to the Nagoya Port and saw a dolphin show at the Nagoya Aquarium, pretended like I was in Italy as I strolled the streets of Villaggio Italia (Little Italy), marveled at the Autumn colors at Togugawaen a Japanese Garden and looked at the Christmas lights at Nagoya Station.

Port of Nagoya Aquarium
Last Sunday I decided I was going to go visit the Nagoya Castle alone and was almost out the door when Naomi (yes, my Sado companion) IMed my and asked if I wanted to go to the Port. Well, looking outside and seeing the the rain clouds I decided it would be more fun to be with someone and inside somewhere, so we went to the Aquarium and Villaggio Italia. It brought back memories of when I obsessed with dolphins and wanted to be a dolphin trainer I took thousands of photos. Here are the pics:
The Aquarium-yep all of it

The dolphins and trainers bowed to us-no, really they did

They sure can jump


Villagio Italia
I am always up for an adventure, so when Naomi suggested going to VI I was soo there. I was expecting a Little Italy like the LI in San Francisco or NYC where there are a bunch of Italian shops and many Italian people in the area. I was quite shocked when I showed up and saw this:
Villagio Italia

This is typical Japanese style-its a actual village filled with lots of shopping and restaurants. Its the cutest thing ever. With the canals, gondolas, Italian chefs and everything. I would have more pics up but my camera is awful (hint hint for xmas present :) and night pictures do not come out well.

Tokugawaen Koen
A bunch of us from work decided to go see the Autumn colors at Togugawaen Koen Wednesday night because Thursday was a office day-NO KIDS!! I was just told we are going to see some Autumn colors, I didn't know where or how since it was at night but boy was I in for a fantastic shock. Soari drove all of us to the garden in Nagoya. Here are the amazing pictures (not from my camera-my photos didn't come out very well :)








Saori, Liz, Charissa, Me, Miho
At the gate-we were kicked out, closing time came so fast

Christmas in Japan
You would be shocked at how much the Japanese decorate for a holiday they don't celebrate. Here I am at the Nagoya train station:

Yes, I am wearing a hat-its freaking cold here

Update:
I'm coming home for Christmas!!! I'll be in the States from Dec. 23-Jan. 7. I want to see everyone. I'm bribing you-if you want your pressies you must see me :) (except fam. in Kansas, I'll send them to you-I promise :)
P.S. Gram and Gramp. thanks for the thanksgiving card, I know you will read this :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home