Memoirs of an American in Japan

What can I say, I must be a little mad. I am packing up my bags and moving 5,500 miles away from all my family and friends to a little country called Japan. Some call me crazy, and some call me adventurous, but I am ready for the experience of a lifetime...

Name:
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

On my second tour of teaching abroad, this time teaching Kindergarten in the Abu Dhabi desert.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

JAPAN!!

Konnichiwa,

I made it to Japan Ever since the plane landed I have been buzzing around like a bee. I started work on Monday and everyone at work is sooo nice. I get to the meet my kids on Tuesday at the welcome back party were all the teachers have to sing and do a skit for all the students and parents. I feel bad for all the parents and kids who have to listen to my singing (More on that later).

Japan is fantastic. I really do not feel like I am in a foreign country-but more like a separate part of the US considering there are Shell stations and 7/11's everywhere and a Starbuck's 2 blocks from my apartment (very excited about that). My apartment is quite nice and big in Japan standards, I have my own room and the size is 6 tatami mats (try and figure that one out : ) There are subtle differences such as the toilet sprays water from the top whenever you flush to refill the toilet and wash your hands (which I think is quite smart) and all the building signs are in Japanese. My new favorite store is Apita-it is a grocery store and a mall all rolled up in one, its quite and experience-it has everything you need (expect an adaptor,ugh) and its only 2 blocks from my apartment.

I will put up pictures (toilet) as soon as I find an adaptor for my computer, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home